Project Overview - View and Print Print Page Close Window

St. James AME Church
Newark, New Jersey


Scope of Work:
  • Restoration of stonework, including resetting, repairs, and repointing
  • Cleaning of stonework being restored
  • Emergency stabilization of tower stones
  • Roof replacement with copper flashing restoration and replacement
  • Stained glass restoration
  • Wood frame restoration
  • Interior plaster repair and restoration

Owner Contact:
St. James AME Church - Rev. St. Clair

Engineer(s): Historic Building Architects - Annabelle Radcliffe-Trenner

Architect(s):

Job Description:

St. James AME Church is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Church represents one of the few remaining architecturally significant buildings on Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard (The Old High Street). Originally The High Street Presbyterian Church, it was constructed in two phases: The nave and tower were constructed in the 14th Century English Gothic style in 1850 with the East Wing being added in 1890 which included a rear lecture hall with a large rose window. The urgent restoration included interior and exterior renovations including cast stone replacement, masonry repointing and cleaning, decorative plastering, finishes, painting, stained glass restoration, electrical lighting upgrades, replacement of roof deck, flashing, snow guards, gutters and leaders, and replacement of shingle roofing.

  • descriptiondescription
  • descriptiondescription
  • descriptiondescription
  • descriptiondescription
  • descriptiondescription